Weapon Shaping, also known as Weapon Crafting, is a gameplay system introduced with The Witch Queen expansion. It allows players to use the Relic at the Enclave to create copies of certain weapons, which can then be leveled up through use and further customized with unlockable perks.
- 1 Access
- 2 Quests
- 3 Weapon Patterns
- 4 Shaping
- 5 Materials
- 6 Patch History
- 7 References
- 8 External Links
Players gain access to Weapon Shaping after completing the first mission of the Witch Queen campaign, The Arrival, which does not require ownership of The Witch Queen expansion. The Relic is found in the Enclave on Mars, which is accessed from the Savathûn's Throne World map in the Director. The Relic quest will guide the player through a tutorial on how to shape new weapons. Through this process, players will craft The Enigma, a Glaive. Additional quests given by the Relic Conduit will further explain aspects of the crafting process.
These quests are available for free to all players.
- The Relic — Rewards The Enigma Glaive Pattern;
- Shaping: Extraction — Rewards the Syncopation-53 Pulse Rifle and Palmyra-B Rocket Launcher Patterns;
- Reshaping the Enigma — Rewards the Ragnhild-D Shotgun Pattern;
- Foundry Resonance — Rewards the Ammit AR2 Auto Rifle Pattern;
- Foundry Shaping — Rewards the Taipan-4fr Linear Fusion Rifle Pattern.
This quest requires ownership of The Witch Queen expansion.
- Main page: Weapon Patterns
A weapon can only be crafted if the player unlocks that weapon's Pattern. Not every weapon in the game is available for crafting. All unlockable Patterns and their unlock conditions are viewable in the Patterns & Catalysts section of the Triumphs tab. Most Patterns are unlocked by extracting them from Deepsight Resonance weapons, while others are obtained from quests or activities.
- Main page: Deepsight Resonance
Some Weapon Patterns can only be obtained by extracting them from weapons with Deepsight Resonance. These weapons are marked by a red border around their icons. Only weapons that can be crafted can drop with Deepsight Resonance.
Players have two options when crafting at the Relic: Shape, which creates a new weapon, and Reshape, which modifies an already-crafted weapon.
When shaping a Legendary weapon, players must slot in an Intrinsic, 2 weapon perks (usually a Barrel and a Magazine), and 2 Traits. These may vary depending on the weapon being crafted. Players can optionally slot in a Memento, which will unlock cosmetic bonuses when the weapon reaches specific levels.
- Main page: Shaped Weapons
Shaped weapons have a Weapon Level, which can be increased by killing enemies or having them equipped when activities are completed. As the weapon increases in level, the player will unlock new perks and Intrinsics that can be applied during reshaping.
Players can shape as many copies of a given weapon as they want. This can allow for multiple versions of the same weapon. However, progress is not shared between these copies. If a shaped weapon is dismantled, its progress is not saved and is lost forever. The player can make a new copy of that weapon and start from level 1.
When Reshaping a weapon, players can reconfigure the weapon with different perks. However, there are some limitations. Previously crafted perks are not unlocked permanently; if a player swaps a perk out and wants to reapply it later, it will require the same material costs as it did before. It is also not possible to shape a weapon with more than one perk in each column, preventing players from toggling between different perk configurations.
At higher levels, Enhanced Traits will be unlocked on Legendary weapons. These are enhanced versions of other traits available on the weapon, improving the effect that a given trait provides. At Weapon Level 7, players can apply one of several Enhanced Intrinsics that provide a boost to one of the weapon's stats (e.g. Reload Speed or Stability). This replaces a weapon's usual Masterwork stat bonus, as shaped weapons cannot be upgraded like normal weapons.
There are a variety of materials and currencies used in Weapon Shaping:
- Glimmer is used when crafting all Intrinsics and Weapon Perks.
- Enhancement Cores are used when crafting normal Traits or Enhanced Intrinsics.
- Enhancement Prisms and Ascendant Alloys are required to craft Enhanced Traits.
- Mementos are consumables that unlock cosmetic bonuses when the weapon reaches certain levels. Only one memento can be inserted into a weapon at a time.
- 10000 - Base Intrinsic
- 11000 17 - Enhanced Intrinsic
Perk Slot 1
Perk Slot 2
Perk Slot 3
Perk Slot 4
- 1 Memento item
- Resonant and Harmonic Alloys have been removed from weapon crafting costs and will no longer drop from dismantling specific weapons. Players can exchange their existing inventory of these Alloys for Glimmer by visiting Rahool in the Tower.
- Crafted and Enhanced Weapons now have a new mod socket visible in the inspection screen for weapon level boosting. Players can use Glimmer and Enhancement Cores to apply a Weapon Level Boost mod to directly level their weapon with escalating costs as the weapon level increases.
- Weapon crafting components no longer require Legendary Shards. This change is excluded from weapon enhancing, which still requires Legendary Shards at enhancement tier 1.
- Players can now obtain a limited number of Deepsight Harmonizers from the Season Pass. On a weapon with an available pattern that has never had Deepsight, a player can apply this currency to immediately give the weapon Deepsight for Pattern Extraction through Deepsight Activation." Weapons will have an information section display if a weapon is available for Deepsight Activation.
- Fixed an issue where making changes to the weapon in an inventory after selecting the weapon to reshape would not automatically update to the item in the reshape slot.
- Resonant elements have been removed.
- Crafting component costs have been replaced with standard currencies such as Glimmer and Enhancement Cores.
- Deepsight will now only manifest on weapons that have a pattern available to unlock.
- Deepsight has been removed on existing weapons that do not have a pattern available to unlock.
- The Deepsight attunement objective has been removed. You can immediately extract or dismantle the weapon to obtain pattern progress.
- The shaping alloy "Drowned Alloy" has been renamed to "Harmonic Alloy."
- Dismantled weapons with Deepsight will provide pattern progress if a pattern is available.
- Dismantled weapons with Deepsight will provide 100 Neutral Element.
- If the objective is completed and the item is dismantled or the Deepsight mod extracted, 300 Neutral Element will be acquired.
- Starting in Season 18, Deepsight weapons that are acquired prior to their pattern becoming available will no longer output pattern progress. The Deepsight weapon's tooltip will indicate whether a pattern is available or not.
- Weapon Crafting: All element currencies other than Neutral Elements have been removed. Neutral Elements have been renamed to Resonant Elements.
- Increased Element crafting currency caps.
- More information can be found in the 3/17/2022 This Week at Bungie blog article.
- Neutral Element max cap increased from 8,500 to 10,000.
- All other Element caps increased from 250 to 1,000.
- Increased Element crafting currency caps.
- Updated a crafting material name to now read correctly as Drowned Alloy instead of Drowned Element.
- "Destiny 2 Update 220.127.116.11 - Season of the Witch" Bungie, posted by Destiny Dev Team, 22 Aug. 2023, https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/season-witch-update-7-2-0-1. wikipage
- "Destiny 2 Update 7.1.0 - Season of the Deep" Bungie, posted by Destiny Dev Team, 23 May 2023, https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/season-deep-update-7-1-0. wikipage
- "Destiny 2 Hotfix 18.104.22.168" Bungie, posted by Destiny 2 Dev Team, 25 Apr. 2023, https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/hotfix_7_0_5_1. wikipage
- "Destiny 2 Update 22.214.171.124" Bungie, posted by Destiny 2 Dev Team, 27 Feb. 2023, https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/update_7_0_0_1. wikipage
- "Destiny 2 Update 6.2.0" Bungie, posted by BrunoLouviers, 23 Aug. 2022, https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/51707. wikipage
- "Destiny 2 Update 4.1.0" Bungie, posted by Bungie, 24 May 2022, https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/51380. wikipage
- "Destiny 2 Update 4.0.1" Bungie, posted by Destiny Dev Team, 19 Apr. 2022, https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/51249. wikipage
- "Destiny 2 Hotfix 126.96.36.199 " Bungie, posted by Destiny Dev Team, 22 Mar. 2022, https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/51188. wikipage
- "Destiny 2 Hotfix 188.8.131.52" Bungie, posted by Destiny Dev Team, 3 Mar. 2022, https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/51134. wikipage