A gun's zoom is equal to the combination of its base zoom (typically due to its gun type) and its scope/sight. In other words:
Zoom = Base + Scope
Here are the gun types I've looked at so far:
|Sniper Rifle||see below|
Barrel Mods/Sights for Sidearms/Hand Cannons/Shotguns/Grenade Launchers/SMGs give no bonus to zoom. Other guns with barrel mods may have a fixed zoom that is higher than the base zoom of the gun type.
There is one oddity to this formula that Destiny 2 seems to have introduced. SMGs with barrel mods typically have a 1.25x zoom. SMGs with scopes have zooms given by the formula:
Zoom = 1.0 + 1.25 * Modifier
What Does Zoom Do
In addition to increasing the size (visual zoom) of objects on screen, zoom has a couple other notable effects.
- Higher zoom reduces the effective (angular) recoil of a gun. Basically the recoil of a specific gun type in pixels/distance on screen is set by its stability stat. Higher zooms to not impact this recoil, meaning the actual angle the gun has recoiled is less. This is a major reason why high-zoom scopes are useful for long-range battles, especially on pulse rifles.
- Zoom reduces damage and accuracy falloff by an amount proportional to the gun's zoom factor. Damage falloff starts at 20 meters while hip firing with a hand cannon? Then damage falloff would start at 30 meters when ADS (1.5x zoom).
Scope/Sight Zoom Values
Error should be plus/minus 0.05 for all of these except the ones with an asterisk (*) which may be off by more. I really need to get some more Häkke weapons to fill this out--yikes.
|Red Dot ORS 1||0.4||Cuboid ARU, Bayesian MSU|
|Red Dot ORS||0.4||Cuboid ARU, Bayesian MSU|
|Red Dot Micro||0.4||Nightshade|
|Red Dot 2 MOA||0.4||Nightshade|
|Rifle Scope ST||0.9||Nightshade|
|IS 5 Circle||0.15||Call to Serve, Scathelocke, Lincoln Green|
|Model 8 Red||0.6||Call to Serve, Scathelocke|
|Mark 15 Lens||0.8||Call to Serve, Lincoln Green|
|Mark 10 Glass||0.75||Scathelocke|
|Model 6 Loop*||0.55||Lincoln Green|
|SPO-28 Front||0.5||Swift Ride, Resonance-42|
|SRO-41 Ocular||0.8||Swift Ride|
|SRO-52 Ocular||0.9||Swift Ride|
|SLO-10 Post||0.1||Tone Patrol|
|SPO-57 Front||0.6||Resonance-42, Tone Patrol|
|SPO-37 Ocular||0.7||Tone Patrol|
|Impulse MS3||0.8||Mannanan SR4|
|Candle PS||0.1||Mannanan SR4|
|Spark PS||0.15||Uriel's Gift, Out of Options|
|Flash HS5||0.65||Uriel's Gift|
|Torch HS3*||0.5||Out of Options|
- Nightshade + Rifle Scope ST = 1.7 + 0.9 = 2.6x.
- Resonance-42 (SMG) + SPO-28 Front = 1 + 1.25*0.5 = 1.625x.
It should be possible to do sniper scopes using the same language, but for now since there are so few in the game I'm just listing the total zoom for each. Note that the zooms tend to be significantly higher than they were in D1...another reason why snipers are more difficult to use now.
|ATB Long Range||6.7|
|Zoom 10 Point||5.7|
|Zoom 30 Focus||8.0|
|The Long Walk||5.7|
|Black Tiger 2SR||2.2|
|Sand Wasp 3AU||1.75|
- The Häkke Antiope-D SMG has a zoom of ~1.6x with GB Iron and 2.1x with SC Holo
- Suros slug shotguns have the same zoom as normal shotguns
|Displayed Attributes||Attack • Impact • Range • Stability • Handling • Reload Speed • Blast Radius • Velocity • Charge Time • Swing Speed • Efficiency • Defense (Sword) • Magazine • Rounds Per Minute • Draw Time • Accuracy|
|Hidden Attributes||Zoom • Inventory Size • Aim Assistance • Recoil Direction|
|Armor||Defense (Armor) • Mobility • Resilience • Recovery • Discipline • Intellect • Strength|