Sometimes the only answer is to burn it all away.
Solar is an elemental type related to fire.
Each class has a Solar subclass, with abilities that deal Solar damage:
Energy weapons deal less damage than Kinetic against unshielded enemies, but deal more damage to the elemental shields, and even more if the weapon's element matches the shield's. Destroying a Solar shield with Solar weapon or ability causes an explosion that damages enemies in a certain radius near the target.
Character armor has elemental types that determine which Mods can be installed into it.
Solar mods can be installed only into Solar armor. They mostly revolve around Auto Rifles, Fusion Rifles, Linear Fusion Rifles, Submachine Guns and Rocket Launchers, as well as grenade abilities, and also provide resistance to Solar damage.
Some of the enemies are surrounded by elemental shields which soak a certain amount of incoming damage. Enemies can also deal elemental damage.
Solar shields are used by:
Solar weapons are used by:
- Fallen — Molten Welder (Dreg, Vandal, Captain), Shrapnel Launcher (Dreg, Marauder, Captain), Laser Cannon (Fallen Walker), Exploder Shank;
- Hive — Acolyte grenades, Splinter (Acolyte, Knight);
- Cabal — Cabal Headhunter (Psion), Cabal Severus (Gladiator), Flame Launcher (Incendior), Heavy Slug Thrower (Colossus), Projection Rifle (Legionary, Phalanx, Centurion), Slug Rifle (Legionary, Phalanx, Psion, Centurion);
- Vex — Line Rifle (Hobgoblin), Slap Rifle (Goblin, Fanatic, Harpy);
- Taken — Line Rifle (Taken Hobgoblin), Projection Rifle (Taken Centurion), Shrapnel Launcher, (Taken Vandal, Taken Captain), Slap Rifle (Taken Goblin, Taken Hobgoblin, Taken Minotaur), Slug Rifle (Taken Centurion, Taken Phalanx, Taken Psion), Solar Blast (Taken Wizard), Shadow Thralls.
- Scorn — Ether-Torch, Flame Censer (Ravager), Flame Torch (Wraith), Scorn Pistol (Lurker).
Although there are occurrences where these enemies have different shields, and it is possible for them to wield different weapons.
Elemental singe is a heroic modifier that is changed weekly. During Solar singe, both players and enemies deal more damage with Solar weapons and abilities, and the players can complete one of the Vanguard Challenges by completing strikes in Solar subclasses.