Sometimes the only answer is to burn it all away.
Solar is an elemental type related to fire.
Each class has a Solar subclass, with abilities that deal Solar damage:
Energy weapons deal less damage than Kinetic against unshielded enemies, but deal more damage to the elemental shields, and even more if the weapon's element matches the shield's. Destroying a Solar shield with Solar weapon or ability causes an explosion that damages enemies in a certain radius near the target.
Character armor has elemental types that determine which Mods can be installed into it.
Solar mods can be installed only into Solar armor. They mostly revolve around Auto Rifles, Fusion Rifles, Linear Fusion Rifles, Submachine Guns and Rocket Launchers, as well as grenade abilities, and also provide resistance to Solar damage.
Some of the enemies are surrounded by elemental shields which soak a certain amount of incoming damage. Enemies can also deal elemental damage.
Solar shields are used by:
Solar weapons are used by:
- Fallen — Dregs, Vandals, Marauders, Captains, Walkers, Exploder Shanks;
- Hive — Acolytes, Knights;
- Cabal — Psions, Legionaries, Phalanxes, Incendiors, Gladiators, Centurions, Colossi;
- Vex — Fanatics, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Harpies;
- Taken — Taken Vandals, Taken Captains, Taken Thralls, Taken Wizards, Taken Psions, Taken Phalanxes, Taken Centurions, Taken Goblins, Taken Hobgoblins, Taken Minotaurs;
- Scorn — Ravagers, Lurkers, Wraiths.
Although there are occurrences where these enemies have different shields, and it is possible for them to wield different weapons.
Elemental singe is a heroic modifier that is changed weekly. During Solar singe, both players and enemies deal more damage with Solar weapons and abilities, and the players can complete one of the Vanguard Challenges by completing strikes in Solar subclasses.