Sever is an activity introduced in the Season of the Haunted. It is a series of missions that follow the seasonal story. They take place on the Derelict Leviathan, and have players working to deal with the Nightmares haunting Crow, Commander Zavala, and Empress Caiatl. Players will need to progress through the Bound in Sorrow quest to unlock new missions. Missions are initially time-gated, unlocking weekly as the season and quest progresses.
Calus Bobbleheads and Calus Automatons can be found in these missions.
Players will move through the underbelly of the Derelict Leviathan, placing Ritual Amplifiers. They will mainly encounter Scorn and Cabal enemies, including Nightmares. This culminates in the severance ritual, where the player will fight a Nightmare boss. An Avaricious Treasurer enemy will also appear during every boss fight, granting additional minor rewards when killed.
Puzzle mechanics that appear in these missions were previously seen in the Presage mission in the Season of the Chosen. This includes shooting electric fuses, pulling levers, and shooting Egregore spores to pass through forcefields. The Wrench relic also makes several appearances.
Opening the chest at the end of a Sever mission rewards Glimmer, Crown Influence reputation, and Haunted armor. If the player has a Bound Presence, it will be consumed when the chest is opened. This will reward a Haunted weapon and Opulent Umbral Energy, in addition to the regular rewards.
The following Haunted armor items can be rewarded when opening a Sever chest.
- Eidolon Pursuant Helm / Eidolon Pursuant Mask / Eidolon Pursuant Veil (Helmet)
- Eidolon Pursuant Gauntlets / Eidolon Pursuant Handguards / Eidolon Pursuant Gloves (Gauntlets)
- Eidolon Pursuant Plate / Eidolon Pursuant Tunic / Eidolon Pursuant Robe (Chest Armor)
- Eidolon Pursuant Greaves / Eidolon Pursuant Legguards / Eidolon Pursuant Pants (Leg Armor)
- Eidolon Pursuant Mark / Eidolon Pursuant Cloak / Eidolon Pursuant Bond (Class Item)
The following Haunted weapons can be rewarded when consuming a Bound Presence at a Sever chest. They can drop with Deepsight Resonance, and can be Shaped.
The following Crown of Sorrow upgrades can affect the rewards obtained from Sever:
- Sever Boss High Stat: The first time you complete Sever each week, you are guaranteed a high-stat piece of armor.
- Treasurer Bonus Rewards: The first time you defeat an Avaricious Treasurer each week, it drops additional rewards.
- Sever Deepsight: The first time you redeem a Bound Presence each week, you are guaranteed a Deepsight modded Haunted weapon.
- Umbral Rift: The first time you redeem a Bound Presence each week, you are rewarded additional Opulent Umbral Energy.